Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Legendary Witches: Let That Be a Lesson (snippet)

 Sooo, to make a fairly long story significantly shorter, when I'm not writing about super-fun things like depression and Depression and therapy and anxiety and change and power and mental health and mental disorders (and, um, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic), I occasionally write fiction about three witches (I love witches -- that's an even longer story!) who may or may not be the most powerful of all time. The story I have in mind is so long that I'll probably never finish it, but it's still a fun way to spend an afternoon sometimes, you know?

I haven't been writing about them too much lately, as I've been quite content to write about my own issues, but this scene just happened to fall into my head on my way to work today. I suppose I could give you a bit more background information (including, but not limited to, the main characters' names), but really, it's so short that explaining anything would take longer than actually reading the scene. That being said, the one thing you have to understand is that the witches are only "sisters" because they think of themselves that way. They are not related biologically or legally.

And that, in a nutshell, is what makes them so powerful.





She dropped her sword and walked over to him (he still hadn't moved). Standing in front of his ridiculous little dais with her hands in her pockets and her gaze firmly rooted to the ceiling, she said, "You know who I am." It wasn't a question.
   He nodded, slowly, with a look in his eyes (all three of them) like a cat observing a canary with a broken wing. He opened his mouth to sp-
   His head exploded.
   It was loud, it shook the walls a bit, and there was an inaudible wail of disbelieving fury.
   (She took care to keep any of the . . . pieces . . . from getting on her, as that would've called for a solid week of showering even if she hadn't been wearing new boots.)
   She looked at the mess it had made and explained, "Then you know I'm here because you came after my sisters. That was very, very stupid. You should've hired a thousand more guards. Well, not that they would've helped."
   He didn't say anything, because he was dead.
   He was older than time, and so cruel that Mephistopheles didn't dare speak his name, but she had taken him out in less than ten seconds. It had been easy.
   Neato.
   She turned around and walked away. As she retrieved her sword, she thought, Monsters are going to start having nightmares about us.
   She smiled and disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment