Wednesday, August 7, 2013

So I Saw Equestria Girls

(If you haven't seen it yet, you might want to stop reading. There will be spoilers.)

"Numbered thoughts are organized thoughts," yes? Here we go . . .

  1. You know, as soon as I heard about this movie, I couldn't help but think, Okay, I haven't read fanfic since before I was old enough to drink, but this sounds like fanfic. And it does. Which is not exactly a bad thing, but there is now a High School AU that's canon.
  2. When you stop and think about it for longer than half a second, the title really makes no sense. The entire point is that it doesn't take place in Equestria. But it does sound better than, for example, My Little Pony: High School is Tough!
  3. Sunset Shimmer was pretty awesome. I wish we could've seen more of her.
  4. Speaking of Sunset Shimmer, just in case it wasn't quite obvious enough that she's a foil to Twilight Sparkle . . . her VA has been Twilight's singing voice since season one! Meta.
  5. I am so, so, SO glad that, if this absolutely had to happen, Hasbro was smart enough to go with an Amazing Technicolor Population sort of thing. 
  6. Okay, so the Element of Magic is missing and Equestria is potentially in big huge scary danger because of this. So the best - nay, the only - way to recover the crown is to . . . win a popularity contest? Okay, Twilight. 
  7. Also, what's with Sunset Shimmer? She steals the Element of Magic and brings it to another universe, but then she drops it and it's locked up in the principal's office, and she never thinks to steal it again? She intends to use it to take over Equestria, but stealing it twice is a no-no?
  8. Furthermore, how stupid is she? Magic is clearly not going to work as well as it should without the other five Elements.
  9. Speaking of! Unless you're already familiar with the Elements of Harmony, you're going to have no idea what's going on when they show up. It isn't really spelled out, or even implied, why and how Rainbow Dash represents Loyalty, Rarity is Generosity, etc., so you basically get to just take Twilight's word for it. (Although "Pinkie Pie = Laughter" should make sense.)
  10. I was VERY happy with the whole transformation scene. If there was one thing I wanted from a movie about humanized versions of the Mane Six, it was a drawn-out Magical Girl power-up. I refused to watch the movie on YouTube, preferring to wait for the DVD and enjoy it with two of my favorite people on the planet, but I watched this scene several times beforehand. I got chills the first time I saw it.
  11. Wait a damn second. If Twilight was able to call on all the Elements when only one of them was physically present, why couldn't she just, you know, summon it back to Equestria?
  12. Cadance didn't have a human counterpart. This made me happy.
  13. Best line of the whole movie? THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE's one and only speaking part. This should come as no surprise.
  14. Poor Rainbow Dash is just kind of . . . there. If all six Elements weren't needed to defeat Sunset Shimmer, she could've been left out of the story entirely without changing anything too terribly much.
  15. "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" is no "Winter Wrap Up" or "At the Gala" or "Smile, Smile, Smile" . . . but, oh my goodness, it is CATCHY AS HELL.
  16. Moral of the story? This was cute and all, but ultimately it just made me even more anxious for season four. Is it November 23rd yet? Good thing Patience is not an Element of Harmony.
P.S. The human versions of the Cutie Mark Crusaders? Totally adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment