Sunday, February 26, 2012

TVD 3x11: Some Spoiler-Free Thoughts

(Well, um, this may contain something like half a spoiler if you don't have a passing familiarity with season two . . .)


So, last episode ended with a fairly big moment. I enjoyed it much more than I ever thought I would (much like the show itself, amirite), but I was distracted by the music, which sucked out loud. And I do mean LOUD. If they absolutely had to use that particular godawful song, couldn't they have abruptly stopped it so that the sudden silence would've made the fairly big moment even more dramatic? I mean, that just makes SENSE. It was especially jarring because the music on this show is usually so so so bloody good . . .

. . . and then this episode kicked off with "Punching in a Dream" by The Naked and Famous, and my faith was restored.

Bonnie made me laugh so hard that I had to start the scene over after I regained my composure, which I'm pretty certain has never ever happened before in the entire history of the show. Ever.

This episode is called "Our Town," which is a reference that I would've loved even if the episode itself had sucked -- as a recovering theater geek (our motto, obviously, is: "One Play at a Time"), that is still, and always will be, one of my favorite plays ever, whether I'm watching it or acting in it. Love love love. (Actually, I love it even more because most of my fellow theater geeks hated it.)

Caroline just turned eighteen. Which means she turned seventeen sometime in season one. Which means that, when Damon compelled her to have sex with him and let him bite her, she was still only sixteen. I mean, not that there's that much of a difference between sixteen and seventeen -- the whole thing is disgusting no matter how you slice it -- but that just makes it even more horrible. Although I do have to grudgingly admit that he has come a long, long way since then. He's arguably had more character development than anyone else.

Something tells me I'm gonna have a whole heck of a lot to say about whatever the flaming hell is happening between Caroline and Klaus, but I'll wait and see how that develops.

Because I just can't help myself, I've been mentally comparing Elena to Buffy, Bonnie to Willow, and Caroline to Cordelia since the pilot. This episode REALLY made me draw parallels between Elena and Buffy. They are both determined to protect their loved ones from supernatural forces no matter what -- which is even more of a badass trait in Elena's case, since she doesn't have superstrength to back it up.

The more I think about it, this is how I see it: Bonnie and Caroline are my favorite characters on the show (usually), and Caroline is my favorite vampire ever, but . . . Elena is one of my favorite characters in all of fiction. Period, the end. I didn't expect to like her very much at all, but I like her more and more and more the longer I watch. She makes my soul happy. I know how cheesy that sounds, but I don't give a fuck.

I've been saying for a while that vampire-Caroline is a much better person than human-Caroline, right? In this episode, her best friends said pretty much the same thing. I'm blown away that they actually acknowledged that in-universe.

In order for there to be any conflict whatsoever, the heroes often need to act dumber than dirt. (For example, two episodes ago Damon and Elena concocted a "secret plan" to kill Klaus. It was actually a pretty decent plan, but it still failed miserably -- probably because THEY DIDN'T ASK BONNIE TO DO ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH SHE'S THE ONLY PERSON WHO WE'VE EVER SEEN HURT HIM AT ALL.) That is once again the case. I'm sorry, but how obvious is it that the fourth coffin, the one that's sealed by magic, is holding Mama Witch? So bloody obvious.

So I can't really go into detail since I said this would be "spoiler-free," but this episode really changed my perspective on some stuff and made me want two things:
1. I want Stefan dead.
2. I want Elena to kill him.
So really, I guess that's just one thing.
Seriously, he has crossed a line. There are no words to convey the depths to which he has sunk. I am appalled.

No comments:

Post a Comment