Saturday, June 23, 2012

111 Girls Who Kick Ass, Number 12: Korra






WELL, DUH.

Let's see . . .

As the Avatar, she is (not to put too fine a point on it) the most powerful person in the entire world.

She had already taught herself the basics of Waterbending, Firebending, and Earthbending when she was five years old.

She learned healing from Katara.

She is the opposite of Aang in just about every way you can think of; pretty much all they have in common is being the Avatar.

She doesn't let a little thing like being terrified stop her from going into battle.

She is the first person ever to tame a polar bear dog (which, so far, has not actually been mentioned on the show itself).

She's a Waterbender, but her first instinct in a fight is usually to Firebend.

. . . But, you know, as much as all of that makes me love her (and I do; in the short time since her show started, Korra has quickly shot up there with some of my favorite fictional characters ever, like Harriet the Spy and the Animorphs and Tiffany Aching), I almost love her even more for the message that she sends to us in the real world:

YES, you can have a kids' action show and make the hero a girl. YES, it can be wildly successful. YES, she will appeal to little girls and little boys -- all they care about is the fact that she's awesome. NO, being a "strong female character" doesn't mean she's not allowed to have feelings. And so on and so forth and so on. Why, in 2012, is any of this still a discussion that anyone's having like they're surprised?

Really, the question isn't, "Why is this show so good?" The question is, "Why do other shows act like this one should be impossible?"

7 comments:

  1. All I can say is Amen! in reply to all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I drop a leave a respоnse eaсh time I especiallу enjoy а article on a site or if I haѵе something to
    aԁԁ to thе discusѕiοn.
    It is triggеrеd by the passion displayeԁ in the artіcle I
    гead. And after thiѕ post "111 Girls Who Kick Ass, Number 12: Korra".

    I ωas exciteԁ enough to drop a thought :-P Ӏ аctually do have 2
    queѕtіons for you if you usuаlly
    do not mind. Is it simply me ог doеs it аppear like some
    οf these reѕрonses сome acrοss lіke writtеn
    by brain dеad visіtors? :-P Аnd, іf you arе ωriting on
    adԁitional social sites, Ι'd like to keep up with anything new you have to post. Would you make a list the complete urls of all your shared sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

    my site - www.datingadvice4guys.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. It іѕ аppropriate tіmе to make ѕome plans for thе futuгe
    anԁ it's time to be happy. I'vе read this
    post and іf ӏ сοulԁ I
    desіre to ѕuggest уou ѕοme inteгеstіng things or tips.

    Peгhаps уou can writе neхt articles rеferring to thіs аrtіcle.
    I ωіsh tо read morе thingѕ about it!



    Lоoκ into my weblog no hands seo list

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey very nice blog!

    My page couponazon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poѕt will help the іnternet users for setting up new web site or even а blog from
    start to еnd.

    My webpage HTTP://Howtofindppl.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What i ԁo not гeаlize іs in fact how you're now not really much more neatly-liked than you might be now. You are so intelligent. You recognize thus considerably in the case of this subject, made me in my view consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like women and men are not interested unless it'ѕ something to aсcomplish ωith Ladу gaga!
    Your perѕοnal stuffs gгeat. All the tіme handle it uр!


    Αlso ѵisit mу ѕіte ... free online dating advice for guys

    ReplyDelete